Thursday 29 May 2008

From Sue Le Blond


I know we are all unique, and I know you’re not supposed to qualify the word unique with “very “ or “absolutely”, but my dear Buddhist step-cousin Michael was, and still is, in a way I don’t yet understand - very, absolutely unique, a one off in a world of clones.

I first met Michael in 1977 at my Uncle John’s wedding to Priscilla Kent. Through many years we shared a friendly, cousinly relationship, which bloomed into something more after my divorce in 2004. I was always struck by his unusual mix of virtues. Gentleness, sensitivity and humility were mixed with an anarchic sense of humour and a taste for the weird and the wacky. We got to know each other well, for despite the distance, the Le Blond family made frequent trips to the Priory from Wiltshire. As I learned to love the landscape of Cumbria I grew to love and respect Michael of the Mountains with his Buddhism and simple lifestyle. We were all intrigued by his clock tower kitchen, with its mice that shared it and were spared the death penalty. The whole ethos of the place has inspired my son and daughter, Simon and Josie, giving them a glimpse of different values and a quietness of spirit.

Michael lived all his adult life on a shoestring. He didn’t worry about a hand to mouth existence, having the gift of living for the day. Others, however, myself included, did a bit of fretting on his behalf. I was very much aware of our comparative affluence in the south and it was great to be able to help him set up his own studio. Skywave studio was just taking off at last and I know he would want it to continue in some shape or form, for the benefit of the Natural Health Centre in Ulverston. It’s hard to take on board the fact that he won’t be in their basement any more, mixing, balancing and twiddling controls with the headphones on.
Michael, or Mike as he was known to so many of you, wore his deep spirituality and purity of intention so lightly you could miss it in the shared laughter. I have never met anyone so free from self –importance or pomposity.

I don’t fully understand the Buddhist take on death, but maybe I will next time round! All I can say is that I am convinced death is only the beginning of the next stage. May we all with joy release Michael to that great unknown, for it has been a privilege to know him.

No comments: