Sunday 12 October 2008

some French tears

It is with great shock and deep sorrrow that I am learning today of Mike's death. I was just checking his website to see how his news were. I certainly was not expecting any of this kind. Although I cannot really believe what I've just read - one of his jokes, maybe? I would like to let him know what my feelings are. I met Mike in 2001, when I moved from France to the Buddhist institute in the Lake District in which he was living . During the couple of years that I spent there, he was one of my best friends. As fellow musicians, we had a lot to share. Mike encouraged me into recording my music in his studio, and from there a whole adventure started - recording pop music in a Buddhist studio was a premiere at the Priory, and it was pretty tricky in many ways, but also very inspiring. Our team worked with confused energy, a lot of humour and loads of cups of tea. I will remember Mike's infinite patience and amazing kindness all of my life. A lot of things went wrong, and it was sometimes very funny - as for instance when my music was played by mistake in the temple at a puja - God knows how it got there - that was one of Mike's tricks! - but always, Mike would make every possible effort to make things work, to volunteer on improving things, to constantly try to fulfill all my demands. The computer froze many times, but Mike never got angry one single time, however particular and insistent I could be sometimes. Mike helped me tremendously with my music and I will always be grateful to him for that. The album we worked on together is still developing here now that I am back in France, in other studios, and on some of the tracks, a bit of Mike's recordings will appear. I stepped out from the Priory quite soon but continued to meet Mike as I was living in town - he was one of the few who could challenge my questioning, as under the appearence of the 'foolish bear' he could look sometimes, lay actually a fine old practioner of Buddhism, who could be very wise - although it seemed to me he was not aware of it . He was too modest, maybe. Well where you are now, Mike - may you acknowledge fully what you are, very very gentle man. And may you carry on playing your piano! I would like to hear it one day... All the very best for your future life, Merci mon ami,

Armelle.

No comments: